Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pysanky Class April 1st

My favorite Easter season craft (and this is a hard one--so much thematic baby animal goodness!) is pysanka. This traditional Ukranian craft uses bright dyes with beeswax resist (drawn on with tiny melting pots called kistka, warmed in a candle flame) to decorate eggs in both symbolic and fanciful patterns.

Intrigued? Join me on Tuesday night, April 1st, from 6:00-8:30 at The Thought Lot and learn. $20 class fee includes a kistka and wax to take home & use on your own. Because I must order your supplies, registration is due in one week--by March 26th (if you're seeing this late, email me about rates for just coming anyway and using one of my kistka). Register with a quick email to thewondercollective@gmail.com.

The many dyes and specialty tools required make this a great craft to try for the first time in a group! Use beeswax resist and a succession of dye baths to apply layers of color, then melt the wax away to reveal your egg’s bright beauty.  I love the tools for simple applications, too.  
Peek at last year's workshop here:
http://thewondercollective.blogspot.com/2013/04/pysanky.html

More photos at my (neglected) personal blog here:  http://purplepetunialife.blogspot.com/search?q=pysanky
--Valerie

Have a friend who might be interested? Please use the handy buttons below to SHARE.

No comments:

Post a Comment